Bristow is a fast growing community with just over 30,000 residents on the western side of Prince William County in Northern Virginia.
The main roads through Bristow are Linton Hall and Sudley Manor. This area was originally part of the Linton’s Ford Plantation. Sarah Linton, a member of the Linton family, became a Benedictine nun in 1894 and eventually donated land to the Catholic church to establish a school for poor children. The Linton Hall Military School for boys was founded on this land in 1922. In 1989, this school ended its military affiliation and became a coeducational private school known today as the Linton Hall School. The Linton family (with the exception of Sarah) is buried in the Linton Family Cemetery in the Braemar Community.
Gainesville is an expanding community in the northwest section of Prince William County.
The current population of Gainesville is just under 20,000. This community was originally a changing point for horses on the stagecoach line on the Fauquier & Alexandria Turnpike. When the railroad eventually came through this area, it became a shipping point for grain, timber, and cattle. Now, Gainesville is an active community with many neighborhoods as well as great shops and restaurants.
Haymarket is a small town located in the foothills of Bull Run Mountain with a population of around 1500 people.
It was originally the hunting grounds of the western Iroquois nations who had many foot paths through this area until they moved west of the Blue Ridge Mountains around 1722. The town of Haymarket was formally founded here in 1799 on the land of William Skinker. He laid out the town with 13 streets and 140 lots. During the Civil War, Union troops invaded Haymarket and set the entire town on fire. Only four buildings survived: three small houses and St. Paul’s Church. Eventually the town was rebuilt and from 1882 to today, most of the buildings of central Haymarket have remained the same.
When people think of Manassas, Virginia, the first thing that comes to mind is usually the Manassas National Battlefield Park.
This was the location of two famous Civil War Battles, The First Battle of Bull Run (the name used by Union forces), also known as the Battle of First Manassas (the name used by Confederate forces) and the Second Battle of Bull Run or The Battle of Second Manassas.
art instruction, a mortgage loan officer, or just about any other local vendor, my Local Resource Guide should have just what you are looking for.